Saturday 28 April 2012

Chuck & Sarah: A Simple Song that says so much

Anyone remember that scene from the movie “Garden State” where Natalie Portman introduces Zachary Braff to The Shins where she says “You gotta hear this one song it will change your life…I swear!!”? It is one of my favourite movie scenes of all time, you see Braff’s character listening to “New Slang” and it just hits him like an epiphany, from that point on having met Portman’s character his life did change.
Fans of CHUCK know that the Pilot episode ends on that beach with "A Comet Appears" by The Shins and that indicates a point where having met Sarah and getting the intersect Chuck’s life changes.
So a last month I was watching Saturday Night Live (SNL) just to see The Shins… and they did it to me again with a simple song called "Simple Song". I remember chatting with a fellow Chuckster about my attachment with this song and how I felt it related to Chuck and Sarah. I had a sense that at some stage I would have to write about it; it stirred the emotions that much!!
This song is just so amazing; it almost seems that it was written about Chuck & Sarah. In fact I have convinced myself this song IS about Chuck & Sarah. The love, the angst, the happiness and the sorrow of our favourite spy couple.


He made a fumbling play for her heart... the act struck a spark
The way Sarah and Chuck make each other better people; Sarah showing Chuck that he destined for better things and that he can be a hero just by being true to himself and Chuck showing Sarah that she doesn’t have to be just a spy, she can be a real girl and she deserves a real life.
Pay special attention to the last 6 lines of the song, which I believe is just the essence of the Chuck & Sarah romance.
Below are the song lyrics which I just want to share with you all; I think the song speaks for itself so I will not add any unnecessary analysis

Simple Song By The Shins (Lyrics by James Mercer)
Well, this is just a simple song,
To say what you done.
I told you 'bout all those fears,
And away they did run.
You sure must be strong,
And you feel like an ocean being warmed by the sun.

When I was just nine years old,
 I swear that I dreamt,
Your face on a football field,
And a kiss that I kept,
Under my vest.
Apart from everything,
 But the heart in my chest.

I know that things can really get rough,
When you go it alone. Don't go thinking you gotta be tough,
And play like a stone.

Could be there's nothing else in our lives so critical,
As this little home.
My life in an upturned boat, Marooned on a cliff.
You brought me a great big flood,
And you gave me a lift. Girl, what a gift
Will you tell me with your tongue,
And your breath was in my lungs,
And we float up through the rift.

I know that things can really get rough,
When you go it alone. Don't go thinking you gotta be tough,
 And play like a stone.

Could be there's nothing else in our lives so critical,
 As this little home.

Well, this would be a simple song,
To say what you done.
I told you 'bout all those fears,
And away they did run.
You sure must be strong,
When you feel like an ocean being warmed by the sun.

Remember walking a mile to your house,
Aglow in the dark?
I made a fumbling play for your heart,
And the act struck a spark.
You wore a charm on the chain that I stole, Especial for you.
Love's such a delicate thing that we do,
With nothing to prove,
Which I never knew.

Finally I have spoken about how much I love The Head and The Heart’s “Rivers and Roads” but does anyone else think “Simple Song” could work as the final song on CHUCK? We started on the beach with a song by The Shins; could we end it on that same beach with a song by the same band?
You guys know how much I love my symmetry!!

Can any of the You-tube gurus out there cut something together? I think it would be awesome! :)


Love's such a delicate thing that we do...


PS: If you love "Simple Song" like I do, buy the latest album by The Shins called "Port of Morrow" which features the track!!

PPS: The Shins are confirmed to be performing in Australia at Splendor in the Grass 2012, along with a lot of other great bands heard on Chuck but I don't think I can make it... :'-/

PPPS: Shout out to @Dom2392; a fellow CHUCKSTER on Twitter who I keep promising to do a post on the brilliance of Sarah Walker's legs. Dom, my next post while not solely about Agent Walker's pegs will be packed with mentions of said Agent's legs...and arms....and clothing...and weapons...

No comments:

Post a Comment