Friday 4 November 2011

Five Chunks of CHUCK...

Versus The Zoom

Bloggers Note: I realise there is a whole lot of reviews out there for CHUCK episodes, So I wanted to try something different with mine...I will post up just five random points or observations on the CHUCK eps we see and focus on those rather than the whole episode itself. I liked Chuck Versus The Zoom but like a few others I felt it could have been better, but honestly any CHUCK is better than no CHUCK at all...So I'm just glad to have the show back.

I also want to give a shout-out to each any everyone of my twitter follower Chucksters, I really love chatting about CHUCK to each and everyone of you guys and girls during the week; for those you reading the blog...Thank you so much and I hope you enjoy!

BE WARNED THE BLOG DOES CONTAIN SOME COARSE LANGUAGE & RACY SARAH BARTOWSKI... So read on, you know you want to!! ;-) 

1. No Money...More Problems?

I admit I would enjoyed seeing Carmichael Industries spend their money a bit more, you know fly the Gulf-Stream Jet to missions and see what cool & nerdy gadgets Chuck (and Morgan) would have equipped the team with. However when has anything ever come easy to Chuck (or Sarah for that matter)?

Having Decker freeze their accounts is probably a great idea for the show's storyline in the final season, but I would having loved to see the newlyweds spend some of the cash for a little while longer!

My gripe is we didn't even get a Honeymoon episode of the show; I mean we got versus the Ring I and II but no Honeymooners I and II!


2. Sarah always brings the heat for season opener

If  I was a Major League Baseball manager Sarah Walker would be my opening day pitcher every year, she brings the intensity and heat early and often, lets breakdown the numbers shall we...

Season 1 Opener- was the Vicki Vale moment
 Season 2 Opener- we had the date with Chuck (plus her getting ready for the date)
Season 3 Opener- ...the white swimsuit (Why Chuck...why? *Prague Face-palm*)
Season 4 Opener- All about the sexting photos and the bare foot texting!+
Season 5 Opener- "What is your secret Chuck?" (Do I really need to say anything more?)

I wonder if Chuck made this his phone wallpaper?

+ - How sure are we Quentin Tarantino didn't direct Chuck versus The Anniversary...at least the scene with Yvonne Strahovski's feet?


3. Chuck has intersect envy

No surprises here...Morgan's got the ability to "zoom" and Chuck can no longer "flash" so no wonder Chuck feels kinda helpless, after all these problems never happened to Superman or Buffy!

I mean it's the whole Zeppo thing...Jimmy Olsen never took out Parasite with heat-vision++, same as Xander never had slayer strength to take down demons. How does the hero take it when he's lost his powers (or what HE FEELS makes him special) only to find your friend now has that gift? Of course you feel happy for them but jealousy has to be the prevailing emotion.

Now much of Chuck's existence (in-particular his livelihood) relies on Morgan's ability with the intersect...which must be immensely scary for the Chuckster!!

I did enjoy that Ellie (at the start) and Sarah (at the end) were there with the right words for Chuck during his struggles to cope with losing the intersect. I would like for Chuck to discuss the matter further with Sarah (and Casey) in the next few eps; I mean how did Sarah adjust to being saved (on occasion) by the man it was her job to protect...may not have been easy for her either; she is after all a kick-ass independent super-spy ninja!

++ -  That is my story and I am sticking to it unless my DC historians (@dren_lla and @jemjoven) tell me different!!

4. CHUCK Music...Still awesome!

I never doubted it; The music on CHUCK has set a high standard and the Season CHUCK 5 premiere delivered as expected! My favourites were...

New Young Pony Club track "Ice Cream" is not usually the kind of song I would like...but Yvonne Strahovski as Sarah Walker was able to make me an instant fan of the song! (not sure why that was though)

Simian Ghost "Take My Hand And Lead Me Home" is a nice mellow track to go along the deep and meaningful house discussion between Chuck and Sarah, I can find my self listening to this quite a bit.

Typhoon "The Honest Truth" was my favourite track of the episode might have been because it was where Chuck made the plan and followed through his running & jumping out the building window reminded me of Rodimus Prime transforming and rolling out through Unicron's eye in (the REAL) Transformers the Movie!!+++ The song itself seems like a bit of a rabble-rouser and tub-thumper of a track++++  befitting the leader of Carmichael Industries.

+++ - How good is Stan Bush?...Chuck versus Tom Sawyer anyone!!!
++++ - Bonus points for using the lyrics piss and moan

Don't try to fight it Chuck...your secrets are as good as hers!


5. The more things change; the more they stay the same

A new season sees Chuck now married with a Smokin' hot wife (his words) and they have their own business but as always it seems Chuck is still trying to find his place in the world. As happy as he is right now in his own skin he still isn't sure where he fits in; as has been the case since the show started.

What also hasn't changed is Chuck's need to make a better life for (and with) his wife Sarah, it appears to be his main mission in his life...which is pretty sweet when you think about it but I feel not everybody agrees.

As Chuck was getting to know Sarah in the first two seasons his gestures of affection started small and got bigger from food options like vegetarian pizza (no olives) and rare cheeseburgers (extra pickles) to homely knick-knacks like alarm clocks and eventually Jewellery in the form of his mother's charm bracelet. As time has moved on Chuck's gestures have gotten grander and more involved; let's face it they have not always been the most successful either...as we saw with Operation: Toes In The Sand.

Some people may feel Chuck is being a bit of an idiot with the number of grandiose schemes and plans he tries to implement to impress Sarah, to a certain extent I agree but...in Ellie's words to Chuck "you can never go too far". If the worse that could happen to him is public embarrassment in expressing his affection for Sarah, Chuck would take that just to see the mega-watt Sarah Bartowski smile!

Simply put, Chuck wouldn't be Chuck if he didn't continue to make the effort to express what Sarah means to him.  Also in Chuck's defense (and a point I have heard others make quite rightly) Sarah is not the most open with her feelings, even to Chuck. The moment she verbalised what her dream-house was to Chuck; he set the plan in motion and thus he has a new-submission for the season!

I think Sarah should have the final say on this; and despite his faults Sarah has made it clear she thinks Chuck is perfect...Even if Chuck Versus The Zoom itself could have been better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment