Friday 16 December 2011

Chuck Music- Season 5 Power Rankings

Blogger's note: Like every other season of CHUCK, Season 5 has had some great music. So I just wanted to take the chance to pay tribute to some of the Chuck tunes that have singing out loud on my walk home from work. Fellow walkers, runners and cyclists of Darwin I apologise if you have had the misfortune of hearing me butchering any of these great songs...and the dance moves, I apologise for those too!  I just get lost in the music I guess...


I have ranked the following songs by my personal listening preference at the moment, next week the same songs may change order or another may enter just depends how I feel. Rankings current to the end of Chuck Versus The Hack Off


1. Blind Pilot - Half Moon 


Album -We are the Tide


As heard on - Chuck Versus The Bearded Bandit

Just a great track, really well used on the show with Sarah diffusing Chuck's crisis of confidence as a handler in a way that only Sarah can. I don't know what else to say but it just sounds like a Chuck and Sarah song... Kudos to the guys and gals of Portland's own Blind Pilot and if you like this track too; do yourselves a favour and pick up the album We are the Tide. It is really is a great to listen to if you are going for run like Chuck or a leisurely walk like me, besides Half Moon I can also recommend Keep You Right and the title track (We are the Tide).


Blind Pilot setting the pace in the Chuck music Power Rankings

2. Typhoon - The Honest Truth  

AlbumA New Kind of House

As heard on - Chuck Versus The Zoom

This song is so close to being number 1, I was even tempted to place at equal at 1 with Half Moon...who knows maybe it will be at the 1 spot when the power rankings reconvene?

Why do I like the song? Well the theme of the song suits the journey of Chuck in Season 5..."All this time I walked a filed line" believing that the CIA/NSA mostly had good intentions and followed their instructions (more often than not). "All my time I've been so blind" Chuck's realisation that the conspiracy to get him is still on... But most of all is the idea that you need to man (or woman) up and face your problem in life not "Piss and Moan" and manning up is exactly what Chuck did at the end of Zoom creating the plan to save his team and himself!


3. Blizen Trapper - Love The Way You Walk Away

Album - American Goldwing

As heard on - Chuck Versus The Hack Off

Not a melodic or memorable as Furr and different to God & Suicide which have both featured on previous CHUCK eps; Love The Way You Walk Away has the top-tapping country feel where as the others were more folksy...like campfire songs I guess. The track really suits the angst of the situation in CHUCK where it is used where Verbanski and Morgan break Casey out of prison and Verbanski tells the Sugar Bear she has to leave for a while to allow the heat to die down.

Just a great track to listen to out on the open road with the windows down signing along! If you really like this track you may just enjoy the rest of Blitzen Trapper's American Goldwing album in particular the tracks My Hometown and Girl in a Coat.

For those at home counting... yes that does make it 3 out of 3 for bands from Portland, Oregon (though Typhoon were originally from Salem, OR). Rock on PDX you could say from all the exposure on CHUCK the Portland music scene has come up smelling of roses! ;-)



Portland - Spiritual home of the CHUCK song

4. New Young Pony Club - Ice Cream

Album - New Young Pony Club EP

As heard on - Chuck Versus The Zoom

Not usually into this sort of music but Sarah Bartowski talked me into it... she is quite persuasive that way!



More than enough reason to like this song..


5. Hotel Lights - Through The Crowd

Album - Girl Graffiti

As heard on - Chuck Versus The Frosted Tips

Just a very chilled track that you can sit back to relax to, a bit of a slow burner. Since first hearing it on Frosted Tips the song has slowly grown on me... which is always nice.  It sort of mirrors Morgan's road to redemption, a slow process that begins with a single step...and a set of Star Wars sheets.

I LOVE the Star Wars sheets; I have an Empire Strikes Back set just like it!


Honourable mentions

Simian Ghost – “Take My Hand And Lead Me Home

Heartless Bastards – “Only For You

No comments:

Post a Comment